PMc were appointed by Brockenhurst College to help deliver a new 1,200 m2 Foundation Learning and Independence Hub with funding from the Department for Education’s 16-19 Growth Fund and Hampshire County Council (for the Independence Hub element). The brief includes 13 classrooms and a range of specialist support spaces which were designed in close co-operation with the College team and SEND experts from Hampshire County Council. The £4.9m project started on site in December 2022 and completed in August 2023 – ready for the start of the new 2023/24 academic year.
As part of this engagement we have:
- revised and developed the space brief – producing an updated Schedule of Accommodation to inform the design at RIBA Stage 3;
- managed the selection and appointment of the design team – including planning advisors, architect, MEP consultant and structural consultant;
- commissioned site surveys;
- conducted Gateway Reviews with the College at key decision points to ensure the project remained on budget and on brief;
- together with the design team and cost consultant, reviewed modern methods of construction options and the associated optimum procurement route;
- helped to manage a public consultation event prior to the submission of the planning
- managed the tender process for the appointment of the contractor;
- completed regular site visits throughout the construction process to monitor quality of delivery and complete snagging and pre-PC readiness checks;
- consulted with the College on the choice of furniture, equipment and IT/AC and managed the associated tender and installation of these.
PMc also worked with Brockenhurst College as part of the South Coast Institute of Technology project (IoT) – where the College’s maritime engineering provision forms a key part of the IoT ‘offer’. As part of their contribution to the IoT objectives the College secured £432,000 of capital grant towards new maritime engineering equipment.