Fareham College Institute of Technology - CEMAST
The new Centre for Excellence in Engineering & Manufacturing Advance Skills Training or CEMAST brings together all the Automotive, Engineering and Manufacturing courses run by Fareham College on a single site at Daedalus airfield in Lee-on-the-Solent. The Centre provides training for over 900 Full Time and Part Time Students, and acts as the main learning centre for students in apprenticeship programmes with partner companies such as – BAE Systems, GE Aviation, Virgin Atlantic, Coopervision, Burgess Marine, Jensen Motorsport.
The training is career led – preparing students for work and/or higher study in their chosen field. The CEMAST curriculum has been created in partnership with local industry leaders to ensure that students gain the most relevant and up to date industry knowledge.
CEMAST opened in September 2014 – the result of a collaborative process that began with funding and consultation and ended with a successful construction project.
CEMAST 2013 - 2014
The Projects Objectives were:
- To provide a new training centre for advanced engineering skills key to the local economy;
- To create an industry led and enriched curriculum;
- Develop existing and new relationships with employers;
- Create a learning environment based on real life working conditions;
- To implement a “community of practice” for staff;
- A catalyst for the regeneration of the local economic community.
Start on Site
July 2014 (On Time)
Refurbishment Area (m²)
Total Project Budget
Solent LEP, Skills Funding Agency, Hampshire County Council
PMc and AECOM
Leadbitter – Part of the Bouygues UK Ltd Group