HSDC Alton Campus
Havant and South Downs College (HSDC) have an important role in supporting the acquisition of skills, promotion of learning and supporting the cultural and social development of the town of Havant and its surrounding areas.
PMc were approached by HSDC in 2017 to produce an Estates Strategy for the merger between Havant College and South Downs College. Following the approval of the Estates Strategy and subsequent merger, PMc were retained as client advisors to project manage the outcomes of the piece of work.
In 2018, PMc updated the Estates Strategy to facilitate the merger with Alton College which was approved in February 2019.
Throughout this period PMc have been retained by the College as Client Advisors and Project Managers on the following projects:
- £200K refurbishment of the South Downs Reception;
- £150K refurbishment of the Havant Reception;
- Worked with the College on potential land sale on the South Downs Campus;
- Submitted bids to the Solent LEP on behalf of the College;
- Assisted with the proposed sports-led development on the Havant campus; and,
Secured £500K T-Levels funding from the Department for Education.
HSDC are now currently in the process of implementing its agreed Estates Strategy. Phase 1 saw the refurbishment of reception areas at both the South Downs and the Havant site, Phase 2 saw over £1M invested in the refurbishment of the Havant site – with further works carried out during summer 2019.
The next phase – which is due to commence in summer 2020 – is to begin the transformation of the South Downs campus main building to create a central hub to the college, enhance the students experience and meet modern learning needs. The transformation of this space will also include the creation of a new home for T-Level courses in construction and digital industries.
“I appointed Peter and PMc to work with us to lead the estates work-stream and develop our property strategy because of his track record of leading major developments at Farnham and elsewhere, the respect with which he is held by our regulator (the SFA), and the confidence he inspires in potential funders including the Solent LEP and other partners. The PMc team have demonstrated empathy with our vision and have already helped shape the merger advisory board’s early thinking. We look forward to working with Peter and his team to develop an accommodation strategy for the new college that is ambitious, deliverable and firmly rooted in the educational mission of the new institution.”
Mike Gaston, Principal and Chief Executive of South Downs College
Stevens Building Digital Hub 2020 - 2021
The project objectives were:
- To provide industry standard learning accommodation for digital and gaming curricula;
- To improve the condition and aesthetic of the Stevens Building creating a dynamic studio space to study in;
Reception Refurbishment 2020 - 2021
The project objectives were:
- To relocate the Student Services from the Stevens Building to a new open plan location at the front of the campus;
- To create a more spacious and welcoming reception area with clear areas for Student Services, Careers and Enrolment, and a Health and Wellbeing Hub;
- To address the air flow issues in the existing reception area.
Start on Site
31 March 2021
Refurbishment area m²
Reception 400 m² Stevens Building 880 m²
Total Project Cost
To Be Confirmed
Project Manager, Employer’s Agent, Bid Writer & Cost Consultant
Peter Marsh Consulting Ltd
Stevens Building Digital Hub 2020 – 2021