Lambeth College – Brixton
PMc acted as the client representative on this innovative educational redevelopment, designed by STEM Architects, which sees Lambeth College share a new-build space with Trinity Free School and a new UTC sponsored London South Bank University.
The planning application for the wider site development was submitted in October 2015 by Bowmer & Kirkland and their architects Jesitco & Whiles who designed and built the overall campus. At PMc we managed the decant of the existing college learners into temporary accommodation in December 2015 to enable work to start on the new build site in January 2016. We also helped procure furniture for Trinity Free School at the same time.
In April 2016, PMc were appointed to provide an end to end Client Advice, Project Management, Cost Consultancy and Employer’s Agent services to oversee the £3m fit out of 2,010 square metres of shell and core space which was handed over to the College in June 2017 by Bowmer & Kirkland.
We managed the appointment of an internal fit-out design team comprising STEM architects and King Shaw MEP consultants and subsequently managed the procurement of Gilbert Ash as a specialist fit-out contractor who we started on site in June and completed their £2.5m construction fit out programme in just 12 extremely busy weeks. We then managed the procurement of all loose furniture, AV and wayfinding – managing the installation process alongside practical completion ready for the start of the September 2017 term.
We worked collaboratively with the College, Trinity Free School, the ESFA and their partners to ensure that the decant works were properly scoped and planned, transport and travel plan information was supplied to support the planning application, and staff were kept informed of developments throughout.
The finished project saw the existing site demolished and rebuilt as a brand new 2-5 storey building featuring a multi-use gaming area, a new sports hall, external play/seating/social spaces, relocation of the grade II listed fountain sculpture, soft landscaping, cycle parking and additional disabled car parking.
Start on site
King Shaw Associates
Client Advisors, Project Managers and Cost Consultants
Peter Marsh Consulting Ltd
The Projects Objectives were:
- To act as client representative to Lambeth College to oversee this large-scale educational redevelopment.
- To provide an end to end Client Advice, Project Management, Cost Consultancy and Employer’s Agent service to oversee the £3m fit out of the shell and core space.
- To work collaboratively with the College, Trinity Free School, the ESFA and their partners to ensure that the decant works were properly scoped and planned
Additional project benefits:
- Our work forLambeth College also helped it define its vision in advance of its merger with LSBU and it will help to generate a significant capital receipt that will improve outcomes both for learners and for their financial security.
- Our work forLambeth College also includes our Client Director role for the fit-out of a £12m new build project on the Clapham Campus, which we completed in October 2015, and acting as Client Director, Project Manager, and Employer’s Agent for the £3m fit-out of a new ESOL centre on the Brixton Campus, which completed on time and under budget in September 2017.